Dental school and degree:
- University of Florida, DMD
- Saint Louis University, Certificate in Orthodontics and Masters in Dentistry
- Kool Smiles orthodontist Greenville and Anderson offices, SC
Number of years working with Kool Smiles:
- 3 years
Why did you decide to become a dentist?
- I always knew I liked both the dental and medical field growing up. I was one of those kids who actually did not mind going to the dentist or the doctor. I was strong in both science and math in school, which lent itself well to going to professional school in a healthcare field. I spent a good portion of time during my undergraduate years shadowing both in a hospital and in a dental office, and I choose dentistry because the bond and time spent between patient and doctor seemed more significant to me in dentistry. Orthodontics specifically appealed to me for several reasons. From personal experience, I knew what positive outcomes can come from the transformation of a smile from when I was an adolescent in braces and thought that would be a great service to offer to people every day. Also, I enjoy the mental process of having to plan out a complex case and always think of the actions and subsequent reactions occurring during treatment.
What made you choose Kool Smiles as your professional home?
- Kool Smiles became my professional home because they allowed me to essentially grow a practice of my own without having to worry about marketing, billing, or referrals. I was able to have support while having the freedom to treat when and how I deemed fit on orthodontic cases. Also Greenville, SC is a wonderful place to live with small town charm and a growing economy.
Why did you choose a DSO-affiliated dental practice over private practice?
- Essentially for the same reasons from the above question: Kool Smiles allowed me to essentially grow a practice of my own without having to worry about marketing, billing, or referrals. I was able to have support while having the freedom to treat when and how I deemed fit on orthodontic cases and while focusing on clinical treatment.
What is a typical day like at Kool Smiles?
- A typical day at Kool Smiles at least for me, is busy, but overall rewarding. It is less lonely than in private practice, because you are usually practicing alongside general dentists and sometimes other specialists as well.
What do you love most about your job (both generally and working at Kool Smiles specifically)?
- What I love most about my job is getting to see not only the orthodontic results of a smile improving in both function and esthetics, but more importantly the positive changes I get to see in the patients who are becoming more confident and open as treatment progresses. I also enjoy being able to share that with my team who are an extremely important part of being able to make that happen. At Kool Smiles what I value most is the internal support from management and also the general dentists and their teams who we get to work alongside with. It really bolsters an environment for patients to be able to get comprehensive dental care in an efficient manner.
How do you see your work at Kool Smiles making a difference in the community?
- The biggest difference I see is the opportunity for many children and adults to have access to quality orthodontic care. For many of these patients in the past, orthodontics was not available to them due to financial constraints.
What would you tell dentists who are considering a career with Kool Smiles?
- I would tell dentists and orthodontist considering a career with Kool Smiles to visit and see what goes on during a clinical day in the office. Therefore, they could see the team mentality, quality care offered, and the many patients who look to us for quality accessible care. I would tell them that what was most important to me was that I was allowed the freedom to treat as I deemed fit, and that the company audits all the doctor regularly to ensure quality care.